Monday, January 14, 2008

what the future has in store...

Well friends, my time here in Honduras is coming to an end. I was scheduled to take off with the volunteer group that leaves February 9, however, I have decided to stay until the end of February/early March, to wrap up a few things, and to help train in the nurse that will be taking over the care for our HIV positive kids.

I have just accepted a position with NPH International (NPHI), working with their medical team. It’s actually two part-time jobs. On Feb 1, I begin (officially) working as the medical coordinator for the medical team. This job pretty much just consists of being in charge of communication with the international medical team and the NPH clinics. I am also going to be helping to organize the annual NPHI medical workshop, which will take place in Abril, most likely in El Salvador.

The other half of the job is working as a “regional medical coordinator”, which is working directly with the clinics of Honduras and El Salvador, on things such as disease prevention (working a lot with vaccine programs), rational use of medication, health education, education for the local nurses, ect. This job begins the first of March. With this job, I’ll be traveling to the two homes for a total of four months out of the year. For the remaining part of the year, I’ll be working from home (wherever that may be in the States…).

This second job is a brand new position, just developed by the medical team, so it’s still in the developmental stages. I’m excited about the opportunity to continue my work with NPHI, while still being able to be home with family and friends for the majority of the year.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Congratulations Annie! That sounds awesome! I bet you are so excited! What a perfect position(s) for you! We really are hoping to see you soon!